The Breast Imaging Center of Excellence (BICOE) designation is awarded to breast imaging centers that achieve excellence by seeking and earning accreditation in all of the ACR’s voluntary breast-imaging accreditation programs and modules, in addition to the mandatory Mammography Accreditation Program.
- Comprehensive assessment of the medical imaging facility, including structure and outcomes
- Participation in ACR National Mammography Database registry at no cost
- Ongoing process for self-assessment
- Recognition that distinguishes your facility to providers, payers, patients and administrators
- Three-year status
- Customizable materials for local public relations and marketing
A facility is eligible to receive the ACR Breast Imaging Center of Excellence designation if it is fully accredited by the ACR in the following modalities:
- Mammography (by the ACR or by an FDA-approved state accrediting body)
- Stereotactic breast biopsy
- Breast ultrasound, including the ultrasound-guided breast biopsy module
- Breast MRI*
*Requirement takes effect Jan. 1, 2016. Centers may also satisfy this requirement if
they refer their patients to another facility for breast MRI and breast MR-guided biopsy outside
their center. This facility must be accredited by the ACR in breast MRI and may be within their
facility system or in a referral relationship with the Center of Excellence.
If a facility offers all four accredited modalities at a single physical location, the ACR will consult its database and automatically provide a certificate.
If a breast imaging center has affiliated facilities at different physical locations which together provide all four modalities, complete the Breast Imaging Center of Excellence request form.