The MRI Accreditation Program evaluates staff qualifications, quality control, MR safety policies and image quality. Accreditation is required for providers that bill for MRI under part B of the Medicare Physician Fee Schedule.
Coming Soon! New and Improved Accreditation System.
To our ACR Accredited Facilities,
We recognize that there will be uncertainty of patient volumes, limited resources, limitations on physics support etc. that may affect the ability to meet accreditation deadlines and we will provide as much flexibility on accreditation processes as possible. Thank you for all of your hard work and providing the safest care possible to your patients.
Annual Medical Physicist Equipment Surveys for Accreditation:
In response to increasing limitations and restrictions of physicist access to imaging facilities due to the COVID-19 outbreak, the ACR will extend the annual medical physicist equipment survey accreditation requirement to a 16-month window from date of last equipment evaluation. Facilities needing a longer extension and those who are unable to obtain physics testing or acceptance testing on new units are asked to contact the ACR for further guidance.
Direct supervision for contrast studies
Please visit the ACR COVID-19 Radiology-Specific Resources page.
The ACR Accreditation team recently unveiled a new customer support platform to enhance the accreditation experience. With this new user-friendly system, ACR accreditation customers have a single place where they can access all of the accreditation resources they need, plus a helpdesk to submit queries and support requests. The ACR Accreditation Support solution offers these advantages:
- Easier accessibility: All accreditation program requirements, forms, articles and resources are gathered in one place.
- More robust search functionality: An easy-to-use search tool delivers instant access to all documents related to a specific accreditation query.
- Enhanced interactivity: The helpdesk solution guides you through the documents and processes you need for accreditation in every modality.
- Streamlined support ticketing: If you have a question or need help with any accreditation challenge, you can simply open a ticket, which will automatically be assigned to the appropriate ACR Accreditation team member. To submit a ticket, simply click New Support Ticket in the top right corner of any article in the support platform.
- Improved status tracking: Rather than wait for an email response to your query, you can now track the status of your support ticket right from the platform. To track your ticket, simply click on Check Ticket Status in the top right corner of any article in the support platform.
Declaration of Material Change MR phantom: Due to inability to obtain previously used material, JM Specialty Parts, the designated ACR MR phantom vendor, has begun using a different material for the Slice 5 insert. Although the insert design and material have changed, there is no impact on the current scanning requirements. The MR physics subcommittee tested and approved the material. It will be used in the manufacture of all new phantoms. If you possess a phantom with the old slice 5 insert, it is acceptable to use.
Complete Accreditation Information for MRI
Links to specific documents are listed below.
Complete Program Requirements and Testing Instructions »
Forms and Documents
General and Administrative
QC and Testing
Use these documents and forms to gather data for the online testing package before sending images for review. These forms should not be submitted to the ACR for accreditation.